Friday, July 25, 2008

Spending a ton of time underground.


Lately I feel like I have been spending quite a large portion of my life on a train or underground. I've never spent much time on public transportation until recently, and it's kind of strange. No body talks, everyone looks unhappy, most people are sleeping but you know they really aren't, and it more often than not smells of poop. The other thing is you start to notice the same people day after day and you build a non-verbal, I know you but don't know you and I'm not going to act like I recognize you, stop looking at me kind of relationship with them. It's fun!

Just like last night I was at a company birthday party way on the other side of San Francisco from where I normally am in the city. It was getting late, and I needed to start my normally hour commute home. I walk up a couple of blocks to the bus stop, the 31 towards the ferry building, get on and start my journey. Already I'm feeling good about myself, this is the second time I've ever rode the bus with the first being two days ago. I'm so urban. Anyway as the bus winds through some crazy projects, I mean housing projects, and the bus starts to fill with some interesting people I realize I had forgot my keys at work. Using my new found amazing Public Transit super powers I manage to figure out how to get back to work and home safely and before midnight!

So I now feel pretty good about myself that I can survive riding public transit. I have to say it's way better than driving everywhere. Driving you don't get to see so many crazy people, you don't have awkward I recognize you moments, and when driving it never smells like poop. Plus you never have the adventure of getting on the wrong bus or train and ending up somewhere you don't know how to get back from.

-Stephen

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said.