Monday, July 23, 2007

Vancouver BC



Today we leave Vancouver, Amy heads home and I start my drive to Jasper National Park. Vancouver was kinda mixed for Amy and I. After leaving a really fun and friendly town like Seattle, we were a bit disappointed by Vancouver. We did realize we could have spent another night here as our visit was too short. We arrived Saturday at around 5:30 after sitting at the boarder for an hour, and not eating all day we were pretty crabby. The Moda Hotel while having an ok location, is not the best place to stay. The staff is not so friendly and the hotel smells like 100 years of cigarettes. We spent our first evening walking around and trying to find someone who would give us the good places to eat and drink. It turns out our best suggestions came from the Bar tender we met at the Black Bottle in Seattle. So after stumbling into the Fairmont about to die of hunger we over indulged on Nachos and mini Hamburgers. Which in hind site kinda sucked because later that night we went to Bin 941 a really cool tapas wine bar on Davie St. Food looked super good and Amy and I sat and had drinks while watching them plate all the food coming out of the kitchen. We were there maybe two hours just trying to figure out all the meals. Sunday we got up drove though Stanly Park I took some pictures of the sky line and Totem poles like everyone else and we drove on. The biright spot in our Vancouver trip was dinner at Lumiere. We sat at the tasting bar which was great the portions were just right and it was a whole lot cheaper than the regular menu. Plus while there the Bar tender turned out to be super nice, along with everyone else there. They gave us so many suggestions on what to do and places to go, that we realized we could use another day. To bad it took us a day to find some people to give us the great places to go. Luckily we had so great recommendations from Seattle so our trip to Vancouver wasn't too much of a bust. Plus it gives us a reason to come back.

Oh and the big lesson I learned this leg of the trip. Don't arrive in a big city on a Sunday and Monday and expect anything to be open past 10:30, or even open for that matter. Big city... Friday, Saturday not Sunday, Monday. Also eat something before you try to cross a boarder you could be sitting there awhile.

We didn't take many pictures but click here to see them.

2 comments:

Maddie said...

Hey Steve, it's Matt Taylor. Holy crap! This tour of yours is awesome so far! I didn't know you were up and running. Alex told me you had started. I think you must have just e-mailed her. Anyhoo, looks like you're having a blast. The pics are amazing. Of course, pictures never really capture the beauty and scope of where you are, so I can only imagine how gorgeous the scenery really is. I've never been to the northwest, so I really envy you. Seattle looks really fun. Alex and I will have to get there someday. It was fun to see you and Amy in the Seattle pics. Nice to see you two still enjoy a cocktail like we do. The other thing that struck me was how long Amy's hair has gotten! I almost didn't recognize her. Anyway, now that I'm checking in to your journey, I can't wait for the next installment, and can't wait to see you in August. Talk to you soon!

Unknown said...

Mmm... 100 years of cigarettes. I'll have to visit that place.