
The past weekend I did a massive amount of driving. While driving the long open road your given a lot of time to think and reflect on what's happening. Your also given if you take the time to slow down to just be in the moment. This gift is merely given to you because at that moment in time can't do anything else. During this time I find myself being lost in the color and shape of the rapidly changing landscape I'm moving through. I really like this about driving, and on this trip I learned something about myself which I had really never spent the time to get to know. I tend to see the world in broad strokes. The world to me is a series of large colored shapes. I don't ever tend to focus on the details, and for most part I don't know if I ever really see them? When I started thinking about this I was able to see the connection to the rest of my being. I really don't like the details of things. The paintings I like reflect this, the way I try to keep my house, my disdain for clutter and noise, my relationship to work. Almost every aspect of my life I choose the broad stroke of color or large shape over the details. In the end I'm not sure if it's a problem, I just think for myself I tend to obsess about feeling the need to live in the details and the conflict in my life comes from this not being true to who I am.
-Stephen
http://www.toastyroad.com
2 comments:
"A rapid rendering of a landscape represents only one moment of its existence. I prefer, by insisting upon its essential character, to risk losing charm in order to gain greater stability."
"Seek the strongest color effect possible.. the content is of no importance."
I think you and Henri Matisse would have been good friends. Funny.
Do you find this in your animation work, as well? Obviously you're required to work to a certain level of detail, especially when you did feature work, but did you enjoy having to fret over those details?
Post a Comment