Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Two Links For Tuesday

While traveling the internet the past day I found these two links I thought I would share. The first is a pretty good article that talks about some of the effects of recession, and the collapse of the middle class. I might be a bit crazy, and over the past year or so I have developed a really warped sense of place and money, but I'm okay with this recession thing. I've never lived through one as a adult where the realities of such an event will effect me as they will now, but really? Is learning to eliminate the excess and cut back on consumerism and realize the value of family and friends really a bad thing? I'm hoping, that what ever happens that people again reconnect with themselves and the people around them. That the most important thing in the day is spending it with your family, not buying some new gadget. I'm hoping that people stop worrying so much about what they don't have, and start to see what they do have. The other thing that I've heard such times can bring is a coming together of communities and people to help the common man, that people become real again. I don't think that's so bad. I just think It's strange that we can't hold onto any of that once we have an extra few bucks and a new ipod comes out?

The second link is really an awesome video, the article that goes with explains it better than I can but I do think it's quite magical.

The Formerly Middle Class
Stand By Me while traveling the world

-stephen
http://www.toastyroad.com

0 comments: