
Another Observation from my walk, here we go again... So as you all know everyday I walk down and up 4th street on my way to and from work. Well at some point during the walk I have to cross the street, width wise, because the sidewalk is closed due to the construction or retro fitting of an over pass. Lately this has created a bit of a game for me as I try to find a different way to cross the street everyday, or at least once a week. Well today I came to a cross walk one that I normally go straight through, down the street, and I noticed the little green man going across the street in the other direction width wise. Holy crap! I thought to myself I never noticed I could cross over at that intersection, so I did. I have to tell you it was pretty cool. I know it's kind of stupid but hey there is a bit of joy in finding a new cross walk or veering from your regular beaten path. It's like your discovering the world all over again.
Which brings me to my most favorite intersection of all. So somewhere down market street before I get to the construction of the over pass there is this amazing and huge intersection. The great thing about this intersection is that the little green men show up in both directions at the same time! Which, hold on to your hats, lets you cross diagonally across the intersection. I hadn't figured this out for myself but was shown the way by a co-worker of mine. He probably thought I was weird as I smiled and looked around like a out of town hick as we crossed. It has to be one of the best feelings, it's like your breaking the law and getting away with it, or like the whole works has stopped except for you as you walk through the middle of the intersection. But the really special part of walking through the middle of a large intersection in a city, is the feeling of peace and open space as you make it to the middle. Generally most of the time while in the city the buildings tower above you and your constantly feeling the lack of space. But here in the middle of the intersection there is this awesome feeling of openness and space, although it's only temporary. I look forward to this diagonal crossing almost everyday and I'm always excited when I'm standing at the corner and remember to cross that way.
--Stephen
3 comments:
I have a soft spot for diagonal crosswalks too. i admit it.
In a word: rad. Get your ass to the Northeast- Boston in particular is full of these amazing crosswalks that you speak of.
hehe
I like this post alot =)
Post a Comment