Reims-part of the champagne region: Friday (10/12) and Saturday (10/13) - I was picturing a country side more beautiful, green, rolling and grand then California’s wine country. What a difference. California really is a contender, when it comes to wine and landscape beauty, to all of France. I may be stoned or beheaded for this, but I think California is more on the culinary upswing then all of Europe (N.Y., N.Y. topping the S.F. Bay Area). The U.S. does not top Paris when it comes to fashion by any stretch. Though there is more history, age and technique to the vineyards and the food in Europe, we produce amazing wines/sparkling wines and food in the U.S. that is more inventive and innovative. The vineyards are beautiful in the Champagne region, however the grapes are only harvested and smashed at the Vineyards, which are far away from the production sites. Then sent to various houses to be produced. So, the Champagnes aren’t even produced on the same property that the grapes are picked. You have to go into the “towns” to the various Champagne Houses to tour the caves and taste the Champagnes. Over commercialized and over produced tours at the Champagne Houses. It’s no Napa, Sonoma, Anderson Valley, or Russian River Valley experience (tour iron horse vineyards). Although, I do imagine I would not be at all disappointed if touring the South of France. I hear the food and the Vins in the South of France cannot be matched. I’ll find out the next trip to France.
Epernay-also part of the champagne region: Sunday 10/14/07 – The blog is not to pick apart France, I was just expecting more. I need to put a positive spin on our experiences, not negative ones. Positive spin-every restaurant and shop is closed on Sunday. Epernay residents know how to observe “The day of rest”. I envy that! Wait, I don’t work Sunday’s either…I’m just full of poo…
The French are very rude here. Paris is a much more friendly place. In Paris, everyone greets you when entering a store/shop (in french). In Epernay, they wait for you to greet them. But maybe they are as intimidated by me as I am by them. Who will ever know, we don’t have the ability to communicate with each other.
Epernay is a very beautiful little town. Easy to walk around and the Champagne houses are easy to reach on foot (as long as the houses are open). I would recommend getting here during the week and renting a car for 1 or 2 days in order to explore outside Epernay Proper. Drive through the vineyards outside the major towns. Even drive from Reims to Epernay. I would imagine if you came during the week there would be absolutely no problems communicate or finding an open restaurant. I don’t eat much, so Riems and Epernay have been easy for me, but really hard on Stephen. He depends on 3 meals a day at a certain time. It doesn’t always work that way here.
I don’t want to make this blog to long and repetitive. Moving on…
Stephen caught a cold on Thursday. Was sneezing, coughing, runny nose and watering eyes all day Thursday and Friday. Thinking he was feeling good and recovering on Saturday, he caught the stomach flu. Without too much detail, Stephen has been stuck in the hotel rooms the past 2 days, with a cold and stomach issues. It sounds like a Pepto bismol commercial! He has not left the hotel room once today. No fun for him. I’ve been exploring the Champagne region alone the past two day alone. I’m getting really great at reading a map! I go out for a few hours after 1pm(ish), come back to check on Stephen, go back out for 2 hours, then back for the night to feed the sick guy and surf the internet. It works out good. There is absolutely no nightlife in Reims or Epernay, so I have no temptations to head out at night.
In closing, I can only speak for myself. I am not cut out to be part of “Amazing Race”, or “Survivor”; I can’t remember the names of anymore-extreme reality shows, but none of those either! However, I can't wait to travel outside the USat my own pace and I will never eat anything funky.
Until next time my friends.
Lots of hugs and kisses,
Amycakes
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Okay, so this has nothing to do with commenting on your traveling, but I wasn't sure what email you were using, so I'll leave it as a comment. They are ordering Rat dvd's by this Friday. Do you want me to order yours? Email me and I can email you back with the details.
BTW, it sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun!!!
bobby
Post a Comment